»

February 15, 2005

Interview With Brad Staubitz (14-Feb)

Brad Staubitz was on the TEAM 1200/Dave Gross and Garry Galley today. Will Colbert, who usually comes on after the w/e to talk about the games, couldn’t do the show because he has mid-terms. Some notes:

[paraphrasing]

How’s life as 67s? I’m really enjoying it. I’ve been here a month and having a great time.

This team has been on a bit of a roller coaster – consistency problems – need to work on this? Yeah. Especially with the season winding down. We need to get settled down and start winning some games.

On the difference between the east and the west. Is the west wilder? It looks like the east might be tougher overall, in the division. It’s different for me coming into the east because I didn’t see these eastern teams much so they’re new to me.

When you were still with Soo and you played Ottawa, Bickell hit one of the Soo players and then you followed him around the rest of the game – do you ever talk about that? (chuckle) No. It was my role to protect the younger guys. Now I’m glad I didn’t get into with him because Bicks has got a good one.

You spent 3 years riding the busses with the Soo – what was that like? I spent a lot of time riding that bus. But I think that it was good for the team. There wasn’t much to do except talk to each other, so the guys were really close.

You’re close with Jeff Carter? He’s a good friend of mine. He’s a dominant player on the ice. All the hype about him is true. He’s a dominant player and a good person.

Any prospects – you attended the last Anaheim camp? Anaheim was last season. I haven’t heard anything, but I’m most likely looking at playing university [Canadian].

You haven’t had too many battles since coming to Ottawa, but you’ve acquitted yourself well. Who would you say toughest in OHL now? Zack Stortini, Brandon Purst, John Hecimovic; I’d say that it would be similar to that OHL tough guys website.

You had a tussle with Stortini in one game and you did well – how was that? It was a real battle – a long one. It was at the end of the game.

Do you look down the roster before a game to identify guys who might be trouble? Well me, I’m still trying to get to know the guys in the east. But there are other guys on the team who are not afraid to get into it, like Bickell, Jarram, and Mancari.

Any plans for Valentine’s Day or laying low? (chuckle) Laying low.

[/paraphrasing]

No comments: