»

February 28, 2005

Interview With The Captain, “The story of our year has been inconsistency.”

In his post-w/e interview with the TEAM 1200/Dave Gross and Garry Galley, Will Colbert talked about the dismal w/e. I feel bad for him because it has been such a down year, and he has to come on every week and try to be positive about it all. Today he said some stuff about not knowing what is wrong, not knowing why some guys aren’t showing up, that it’s sad because some of the guys won’t be back, that this is their last year, etc., etc., etc.

I was told that my original post was too harsh, and after re-reading I do agree that there was some overly harsh bits (i.e., about the vets vs rookies), but also some things that I think are realistic. So I’ve self-edited and re-posted.

I disagree with the whole inconsistency label. I would argue that this team has been remarkably consistent. They play better at home, worse on the road. They play better on Friday, worse on Sunday. All season. They are a .500 team, sometimes under, usually just over. But this has been their status all season.

Consistently.

Every week the sports pundits discuss the past w/e’s games, the need to move forward, that they had a good game Friday night, but fell apart on Sunday, that the team still has a chance, that they just need to turn it around.

Every week.

Well, there aren’t many more weeks left. This team has not transformed into what we thought it could be at the beginning of the season. I can’t see them becoming an offensive powerhouse at this point.

Before the w/e they were gunning for top in the conference, possibly first in the division, and trying to secure home ice.

Now? Will they make the play-offs? If they do, will they make it past one round?

Let’s take a look at who they will be playing against over the final stretch: Barrie, Kitchener, Brampton, Peterborough, Mississauga, Kingston (which has given the 67s fits all year).

If the 67s play like usual (i.e., consistently), then we can expect them to win 4/8. The weighting of these potential wins to their overall play-off seating depends upon which team they have beaten (e.g., division vs conference vs Western conference).

At this point, I don’t know what to think. I guess I hope that whatever happens, they just go out and play hard and don’t give up and HAVE FUN. If these next few home games are the last for some of the players, then I hope that they enjoy them.

No comments: