»

February 12, 2005

Ottawa Sun Interview With Mark Mancari

There's an interesting article today in the Ottawa Sun (Quick Hits with 67's forward Mark Mancari). Don Brennan talked with Mancari about how he thinks the team will do in the play-offs; what he thinks of the NHL lock-out, and how it will affect him; interesting tidbits about the team; and his personal strengths and weaknesses. Some snippets:

Q.H.: How realistic are the 67's hopes of winning the conference and, presuming Memorial Cup host London Knights are going to win in the west, going to the national championship tournament this spring?

M.M.: It's very realistic for our team to set the goal of winning our conference. Everyone is really, really close on our side ... the first-place team has 62 points and we have 55. London winning (the west) is definitely in the back of our minds, but anything is possible. We've just got to worry about our side and take that first.

[. . .]

Q.H.: Who is the OHL's biggest pain in the butt?

M.M.: The biggest agitator? It was (67's teammate) Brad Bonello, when I played against him last year. But this year, for me, it's definitely been Nathan McIver from St. Mikes.

Q.H.: What's the funniest line you've heard from Brian Kilrea?

M.M.: A few of us were juggling a ball before a game, and he told us to stop playing sponge-bop-bop or something like that.

[. . .]

Q.H.: What's the biggest weakness in your game?

M.M.: Every game I've got to go out and finish my hits. I have games where I go out and hit everything in sight, and I'll be scoring goals. And there are games I'll get a lucky bounce and score a goal. But for me to be a dominant player, and for me to excel and help the team, I've got to be more consistent with finishing my checks.

Q.H.: How do you respond to accusations you're an underachiever?

M.M.: It doesn't really bother me. I just go out and play my game, and obviously everyone is going to have their opinion. Being thought of like that, yeah, in a sense it hurts. But at the same time, I look at where I am this year, as a player, and how my stats were ... as opposed to last year playing with Corey Locke, who was the top goal scorer. This year, my goals are higher than they were last year, but I'm also being more of a complete player. I'm killing penalties, which I didn't do last year. I'm hitting more. I'm being more of a physical presence. And I'm also doing other things. On the bench, I'm talking a lot more this year. My roles have changed.

Q.H.: What's your biggest strength?

M.M.: Going out and giving it my all pretty much every night. I hate to lose. Losing is something I honestly can not stand. I'm here to play hockey, but I'm here to win. If you're not winning, you're not having fun.

Q.H.: What's the biggest benefit that comes with being a 67 in this town?

M.M.: Just the respect this team and organization has. Obviously, with Brian Kilrea being here, and being the legend that he is, we get a lot of respect. And being here for four years, the fans have been unbelievable. They support this team through thick and thin, and going somewhere and having a fan notice you is an absolute honour. It's a great feeling.

Love him.

No comments: