The Ottawa 67’s struck first. Shane Prince made a nice feed to Cardwell who was sitting on the doorstep and tapped it past Charlie Graham in the Bulls net. This opened the flood gates. Less than 4 minutes later Tyler Toffoli would score his league leading 34th goal of the season and his 300th OHL career point. Just over a minute later, Shane Prince would give the 67’s a 3-goal lead. Off an outstanding individual effort, he went forehand to backhand putting the puck in the back of the net after catching Graham in bad positioning.
Head coach George Burnett quickly called a timeout to gather his troops. The Bulls tightened up defensively and did not allow any more goals in the 1st period.
After some great saves by Graham, the 67’s would crack him again. Dalton Smith tipped his 12th goal of the season off a Cody Ceci point shot. Deja-vu for the Bulls when Cardwell would score his second of the game 51 seconds later off a great play by Tyler Graovac.
The Bulls finally responded when Joseph Cramarossa would get a hold of a big rebound from Brendan Gaunce’s original shot breaking Mrazek’s shutout bid. But that didn’t silence the 67’s, newly acquired Mike Cazzola went top shelf to regain the 67’s 5-goal lead and round out the scoring.
The 67’s and Bulls went scoreless in the 3rd period, but it wasn’t for a lack of shooting. Each team saw some big saves on both sides of the ice with the shots ending 40-38 in favour of the 67’s.
Click here for the game sheet.
The Ottawa 67’s travel to Peterborough to face the Petes on Thursday night at 7:05pm & return to Ottawa on Friday night hosting the Oshawa Generals at 7:30pm.
The Belleville Bulls host the Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors on Wednesday night at 7:05pm.
Random Thoughts from Behind the Lens
- At the 8:48 mark of the first period on Friday, the 67's took a two-goal lead and...well we know the outcome. At the 8:59 mark of this game, the 67's took a two goal lead and...kept playing hard for a solid win. Much different game and well played.
- Shane Prince took a stick up the nose from Brady Austin which was not called. So he simply kept playing....and scored a goal.
- The Prince-Cazzola-McFarland line is already scary good - 6 of the 15 points earned by the 67's in this game.
- Gotta love Cardwell's celebration as the game's first star. It's OK to be happy to be selected as a star in a win on home ice.
- It was Giftopolous' turn to sit out as Taylor Fielding was in the line up (and hitting pretty much anyone who stood around too long).