October 19, 2013

Otter Connor Brown with 4 assists in 6-2 win over the 67's

The Ottawa 67's remain winless on the road after losing 6-2 to the Erie Otters Saturday night.
Playing with only 5 defensemen, the 67's got off to a great start against the best-in-the-West Otters.  It was the 67's who would draw first blood after Sam Studnicka knocked in a rebound past Oskar Dansk in the Otters' net for his second of the season. 

With Troy Donnay in the box serving a double minor for a hit from behind, Connor McDavid capitalized on a short-handed breakaway to tie the game at 1.  Specialty teams struggled tonight for the 67's.  In addition to the shootout goal, the 67's went 0-for-7 on the man advantage & allowed 2 powerplay goals.
It was tied at 1 after one with the shots 7-6 for the Otters. That's pretty much as good as it got for the 67's.
For the second straight game, the 67's suffered a second period breakdown. The Otters scored 6 unanswered goals before chasing Jacob Blair from the net.  He let them all in on 21 shots.  It was also the second time this weekend that the starting goalie was pulled.  Philippe Trudeau allowed 6 goals on 25 shots Thursday night before Blair came in for relief.
After his teammate (McDavid) picked up 4 primary assists against the Bulls last night, Leafs prospect Connor Brown picked up his own 4 assists tonight including 3 primaries.  Travis Dermott also tallied 3 assists while Dane Fox scored a pair of quick goals less than 30 seconds apart.
Studnicka would score his second of the night and third of the season to round out the scoring. 
The Otters went on to defeat the 67's by a score of 6-2 & extend their winning streak to 6.  Meanwhile, the 67's dropped their third straight game on the road. 
The 67's have had a tough time with their brief roadtrip experience so far.  They have allowed 20 goals while on the road including 13 goals in the last two games.  It will be another tough trip tomorrow when 67's travel back over the border to face the Guelph Storm.  The two clubs last met on October 11th with a positive result for the Storm winning 5-1. 

Game sheet can be found here.


  • Taylor Davis suffered a concussion in Friday’s game after taking a puck to the face. As per AJ Jakubec (@AJonSports), he stayed in Niagara last night but travelled to Erie today to be with the team.
  • Brett Gustavsen was slapped with a 5 minute major and game misconduct for a hit from behind. Also tossed from the game was Cory Genovese who took exception to the hit.  Genovese was also given a 5-minute match penalty for deliberate attempt to injure.  Both will be reviewed by the league and they could face supplementary discipline.
  • It was very chippy hockey throughout the game.  There were 12 powerplays, 100 penalty minutes, 6 fighting majors & 2 game misconducts tonight.

No comments: